We are expecting a news conference from UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson soon as he continues his daily briefings on the coronavirus outbreak.
While we wait, here is a recap on the situation in the country:
- The total number of deaths from the coronavirus in the UK reached 137
- The government is expected to release a list of “key workers” who can still send their children to school after closures were announced on Wednesday
- Exams in Scotland were cancelled for the first time
- Downing Street dismissed suggestions of a travel ban in London but dozens of tube stations were closed
- The Bank of England cut interest rates from 0.25% to 0.1% – the lowest level in history